Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Spiderwick Chronicles & A "Pure" Maiden


We have been reading the Spiderwick Chronicles with Acadia. They are fantasy books, all about fairies, brownies, dragons, goblins, and griffins. She has loved them. We were a little afraid that they would be too old for her (because they don't have pictures on every page), but she asked to continue reading. The few pictures that are in the books are pretty amazing. There are 5 books in the series. They are very short and all five books need to be checked out all together for the adult reading experience. It was one series that Brad had the time to read. Since two books only took him an hour to read. He enjoyed them, Treyson tolerated them, I liked them, and Acadia loved them. Quick run to the library and check them out!


So for family night we decided we would watch the movie to celebrate completing the series. We thought that for sure because the books were so short they would be able to stay true to the story. Well like most movies based on books... it didn't happen. Doesn't that drive you crazy!! The story was vaguely similar but all in all I was disappointed. I will stick with the books from here on out. I think it is one series that I want for my personal library. Very good!



Okay now here is an Acadia related story:

Background:
The kids were playing in my bedroom while I was doing some spring cleaning. Acadia had gotten underneath my bed and pulled out a round circle of plastic that attaches to wheels on our bed. Which she is not to be playing with. I didn't realize it at the time. So at Lunch we had this conversation:

Mom: Acadia what do you have in your hand?
Acadia: Just this plastic ring mom.
Mom: Where did you find that?
Acadia: In the living room.
Mom: Are you sure?
Acadia: Wellllll, I did find it in the living room.
Mom: I think it needs to go back under my bed will you put back there.

So now I need to be concerned that my daughter is lying... well maybe...

Later in the day we were reading from the Spiderwick Feild Guide Book. It has pictures and information about all the magical creatures in the books. Acadia has been carrying it around with her for the whole week. She chose to read about Unicorns, and it said that unicorns only like maidens who are pure. Here is our conversation

Acadia: Mom what is pure?
Mom: Some one who is honest, someone you can trust, and some one who is good.
Acadia: (After a minute of silence) Mom, um I really didn't find that ring in the living room. I found it under your bed and then put it in the living room. I'm sorry.

She is too funny. The desire to see a Unicorn rules out...she wanted to be pure and so decided to tell the truth... who says books can't teach good values.


5 comments:

Kevin and Stephanie said...

I love these books, I read them to my second graders when I was teaching. I just love these books!

loriallen said...

That is great! Well, now you have something to keep her on the straight and narrow, unicorns!! I will be reading these books shortly. I kept asking my kids if there were more! Now I know!!

Lisa said...

I liked these books too. I loved your story about Acadia and the ring. That is priceless!

Sarah Sidwell said...

What a smartie to make that connection. My students liked those books a lot, but I never read one. I guess I should. How are you all?

Nicole said...

That's a cute story! What a sweet girl Acadia is! I haven't read the books, maybe I'll have to make a quick trip to the library.