Saturday, June 21, 2008

Zion's Subway

Have you ever been so excited about something you did that your thoughts were so jumbled that they don't make sense? Well that is how I felt about this hike it was AWESOME! So it took me a week to feel like I finally got this post to do our trip justice. The hope is to get others excited to try something new.

This is the famous picture of the Subway. Isn't it beautiful. I was proud of my little Camera. It did a pretty good job!

Brad and I had an opportunity to go and hike the Subway at Zion. You have to have permits to hike, and they only let in 50 in a day. So when when Nathan had extra permits, we had to jump on the bandwagon. The Subway is a 9 mile hike,that includes: rappelling, swimming, and of course hiking. So we talked the Sidwell's into watching our kids for the day (Thank You!).

We met up with everyone that morning and headed off. It was so much fun! The pictures say it best so here you go!
This is our hiking crew: Jenn & Nate, Us, Rob & Liz, Matt, Danny, Claudia, and Mac

This is the canyon where all the fun begins.

Once at the bottom there was a little pond and the temperature was finally cool

From there we got up close and personal with the water. We had to swim through channels of water. Some were only knee high, others Brad couldn't touch the bottom. The water was run off water so it was FREEZING, but after the initial shock it was very fun.

We had just swam through the tunnel behind us. We had everything in wet bags, so our gear was dry even if we weren't!

These are some of the pools that you can hike through or around, we of course had to go through...

The water was actually warmer than earlier so it wasn't too bad.

This was one of the repels ( actually it was more that you used the rope to climb down into some more water.)

Brad was enjoying the waterfall

But this is the 20 foot drop that we had to climb down to see the waterfall. There was a log to kind of shimmy down.

Off to the next adventure. This is were you could repel or climb down the log, we chose the log, just to be daring (I think)


This is one of the most perfect waterfalls, it looks almost fake because it is so beautiful!

So after all of the amazing scenery and adventure this had to be my favorite part of the whole hike. We hope that you enjoy watching us as much as we had doing it!





The last part of the hike follows the river and then it is a steep incline to the top were the cars were parked. I have to admit it was tough, but we all survived even though a few in our party would have chosen to live out the remainder of their days in the bottom of the canyon rather than hike up another hillside. To the casual outside observer we probably resembled something out of a Hollywood horror film, eg. "Night of the Living Dead!" I wasn't too exhausted but man my feet hurt. I had blisters and cuts all over my feet. It was more because of my choice of foot wear, new hiking shoes, and chaco sandals. Although I don't exactly know what else I would have worn... hum :) The next morning was the funniest part though... Brad and I both moved like were were old folks, very slow and very stiff! Looking back now it was a lot of fun, and we would definitely do it again, sometime. . . maybe just not tomorrow.

12 comments:

Ali's 2 boys said...

That looks like a ton of fun! Next time you feel crazy give us a call. We would love to come along.
Beautiful pictures!
So, who are your new friends? I know some of them. You havent replaced us yet...have you?
sob :(

Evensen Family said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing. That is one place that needs to be on top of my list. I'm glad you had a good time and you have recovered from your adventure.

Mike and Jenn said...

Looks like fun! The waterfalls are beautiful. Where is this Zion's Subway at? --Jenn

Meghan said...

That's amazing! You guys have more adventures than anyone I know. Miss you guys.

The Wynn Family said...

The Subway is in Zion's National Park, but you actually don't really even go in the park entrance... it is kind of weird, but definitely worth getting the permits to do it.

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

VERY cool! You're right--the pictures are so beautiful they don't even look real! I love the waterfall picture. I'm glad you guys were able to go. I would have enjoyed seeing you the next day walking like old folks! :)

Becka and Bennett said...

Glad to see some good adventures, things here have been tough. This residency business is no fun! Its going to be a long four years. We miss you guys!

Bridget said...

What a great adventure! That is so cool that you got to go when they only take 50 people per day. Enjoyed the pictures!

Kimberly said...

Those are beautiful pictures. We still think the waterfall is fake. We could tell the water was cold by how fast you got out of it after going down the water fall. What a fun adventure.

Rachel said...

Holy Cow-- those are amazing pictures and sounded like a blast. I am jealous of you guys. yOu get to do and enjoy so much why your living where yhou do. Those are fun memories.

Lisa said...

Those are the waterfalls of my dreams!! I love the video of Brad sliding - that looks like fun!

Meg said...

You guys are tough!! Isn't being sore one of the best feelings in the world? I love it b/c you know you've accomplished something--way to go you guys!