Taking a page out of Lisa Casey's book, for FHE we decide we would learn about safety. As most of you know my kids, especially Acadia spends most of her day in a perfect bubble. At least that is how she views life. Which is wonderful and a little bit scary at the same time. She has been known to walk up to the scariest looking people an start a conversation with them. Yeah it makes me nervous. So it was time to have a safety lesson.
We talked about strangers and who you can go with and who you can't. We also talked about what strangers might say to get you to come with them. And we laid down a few ground rules. I had cut a bunch of pictures out of random people some with dogs, some with candy and we had a little quiz. Acadia understood right off the bat... Trey it took a little while but by the time we were done he understood that it is not okay to go with anyone that you don't know, even if he is riding a motorcycle. Then we talked about what to do if someone tries to pick you up and take you. Brad said that you can hit, bite, scream, do whatever it takes to get away from them. Acadia's and Treyson's eyes get really big, and Treyson said YEAH I get to grow big teeth and bite them! ROAR! Acadia said We get to do bad stuff to them, wow.
The amazing thing is that they actually understood it. One of our rules was not to run away from Mommy or Daddy in the stores. Today we went to the store and Treyson started to run fast. In my mind I was thinking great, here comes another code Adam... But I called his name and he ran right back to me. (amazing) Then we reminded him of the rules. And he stayed with in sight the whole time. I couldn't believe it!
Cinnamon Roll Bubble Bites
3 months ago
5 comments:
we would love to steel your kids for a few hours sometime. are you in need of a date?
Sarah-- you only have to ask once...Of Course! I'll give you a call maybe Brad and I can go out for my birthday. Now wouldn't that be a treat!
Yeah for you guys in having family home evening... and even better when it is successful.
There is nothing better than a good family home evening. Just don't scare the kids away from grandparents too. Have a good day.
Thanks for your good example. We are really trying, but FHE only happens about every other week. . . I guess we need to try harder!! ;0)
Post a Comment